Determining your gardening tool needs
You already know the size of your garden or vegetable garden. A small garden doesn’t require a large set of garden tools. If you have a small or container garden, you probably need a small set of hand-held garden tools. They are usually small in size, and yes, they are inexpensive. If you are the owner of a small garden or vegetable garden, then your garden tool kit will already be bigger. Let’s take a look at what gardening tools are needed to care for the garden and vegetable garden.
Spade and bayonet shovel
The shovel is the basis and workhorse of hand-held garden tools. A trowel shovel is best suited for working with loose materials such as sand, fine crushed stone, and gravel. The shape resembles an elongated bucket or shovel. Such shovels are ideal for digging ditches or holes, leveling the soil.
A bayonet shovel is more versatile, it has a flat, pointed blade. It’s great for digging, edging, transplanting, and dividing plants. The edge of the shovel should be sharpened for clean and efficient digging, which will result in the least amount of damage to the plants.
When buying a shovel, think about what kind of work it will do and that will determine the size and type of shovel. Pay attention to what the tool is made of. Since the shovel will be subjected to considerable stress, the materials and construction of the tool should be reliable. The material for the blade is stainless steel or titanium. The thickness of the blade is not less than 1.5 mm.
The handle made of plastic is durable, lightweight, stronger than a wooden one, it is not afraid of deformation. If you choose a wooden handle, it should preferably be aspen. It is light, strong, and absorbs moisture well. The handle on the end of the shaft gives additional convenience while working with the shovel.
Forks in the garden are used for digging and aerating soil and compost. Cheaper models are often not reliable enough for heavy soil. When buying a pitchfork, make sure you choose a pitchfork made of a sturdy material – high-carbon steel. You may also benefit from a flower fork. These are lightweight, compact tools with short tines. They are great for working with flowers and small plants and at shallow depths.
One of the most popular garden tools is the hoe or hoe. In the fight against weeds, this is the main tool. It is undoubtedly a must have for every gardener or gardener. Hoes come in different shapes:
- trapezoidal and triangular hoes. Each of these tools has its own purpose.
- triangular hoe is used for weeding and planting seeds (it is good for making furrows). There are combined hoes (hoe and fork together) – for hoeing and weeding.
Another important tool of the gardener is a rake. There are two main types – garden rakes and fan rakes. Garden rakes are designed to work the ground – leveling and loosening. Fan rakes are for cleaning up in the garden. They are great for picking up fallen leaves and grass clippings.
When choosing a hoe or rake, always give preference to all-metal rakes. Riveted, prefabricated rakes or hoes are less reliable (fan rakes don’t count).
In addition to the above, you can also add to the manual garden tools less popular, but quite effective – aerators, ploskrezy, cultivators, markers, rippers. Their use is quite limited, but at a good gardener or gardener you can always find them.
A wheelbarrow is a necessity for every gardener, and they come in many sizes and shapes. Choose one that is light enough and easy to handle. But do not forget that the wheelbarrow must be strong enough to carry heavy loads. Pay attention – what is made of wheelbarrow. An iron wheelbarrow will last you a long time if you take care of it.
So how to choose a good hand-held garden tool
The first thing to do when evaluating any garden tool is to take the tool and hold it in your hand. You will notice several nuances right away:
- The weight of the tool. Whether it’s a shovel or a pitchfork, they shouldn’t weigh much, or you’ll quickly get tired while working. But also a quality and reliable tool will not be too light. Choose a tool that is the perfect weight for you.
- Feel how the handle of the tool feels in your hands. Different people have different sized hands. Grasp the handle and decide if you are comfortable holding the tool. Compare it to another tool. If the handle is uncomfortable, you won’t be able to use the tool for very long.
- Visually inspect the tool for any signs of damage from shipping or factory defects.
- Inspect in detail how the handle is attached to the tool. Make sure that there is not the slightest amount of play and that the handle or handle stem is well secured.
Garden tools do not have to be expensive, but remember that there is a balance between price and quality.
Another thing to consider is who in your family will be tending to the garden the most. Some garden tools are too heavy for women. Also, hand-held garden tools have cuttings of different sizes. For example, rakes or shovels, there are with long handles or with short handles. Therefore, you need to choose a tool that is comfortable for the person who uses it the most.
The market for garden tools offers a vast assortment of all kinds of garden tools. The choice is so great that sometimes “young” gardeners are lost in the abundance of goods of this kind. This article describes in detail what tools are needed in the garden and vegetable garden for quality and fast work.
Basic tools for the beginner gardener
In order not to spend extra money on buying tools for the house and dacha, first of all, it is worth making an approximate plan, which will be distributed all areas: household, flower beds, garden, flower beds, etc. For these purposes it is necessary to take:
- A tape measure. With the help of this item you can make any measurements, distribute planting zones, make marks for planting plants. A tape measure should be chosen based on the area of the plot itself. For a small area will suit a 10-meter tape measure, for plantations it is more relevant to buy a 100-meter.
- Level. Needed to measure the slope, relevant for laying water lines on the ground, also used to install a drainage system.
Grafting, pruning, crown: tools for the vegetable garden
For plants to be healthy and actively grow, you need to do pruning and grafting. Timely execution of the procedure ensures the optimal distribution of all necessary substances and a good harvest. What accessories are important to have for the work?
Pruning shears are a versatile tool when pruning plants. With it, you can make a quality work, as well as set the shape of any plant or shrub. It is preferable to choose sharp and sharpenable devices. Good in quality and price Black Decker (Black Decker). When choosing, you should pay attention to the size of pruning shears. Large ones are suitable for large branches, but if the gardener has a young garden, secateurs that cut branches up to 2.5 cm thick are quite suitable.
The type of pruning shears are:
- grafting pruners. They are used for grafting trees;
- grass pruners (lawn pruners);
- for vegetables and fruits. They are especially relevant for pruning grapes;
- for pruning thorny plants;
- classic. Suitable for almost any type of work, the shape of the blade resembles a sickle.
Important: There are amateur and professional garden tools. The price differs in 2, and even 3 times. Professional tools are considered to be better in terms of characteristics, but it is possible to find a good amateur version for a lower cost.
This garden tool resembles a pruner, but it has longer handles. Loppers are mainly used in shaping the crown, not less often used in health pruning of branches.
What is the best choice of garden tools for removing weeds? Separately, it is worth buying such a tool for dacha, as a shrub cutter. He is designed to work with shrubs, as well as for the care of hedges. Tools can be mechanical or motorized. Choose the type of shrubbery cutter should be based on the area to be processed by the dacha owner.
Depending on the need, you can also buy:
- saw fine;
- garden knife (grafting, pruning).
Gardeners recommend initially taking good gardening tools, because the quality of the work performed depends on it. Secateurs and loppers Wolf Garten have proven themselves well. Garden firm produces a wide range of products for the care of the garden. Less well-known, but no less quality products can be found in Fiskars, Tornado and Samurai.
What is needed for digging and leveling the ground
Every good dacha owner should have a specific set of tools for home and dacha. To work with the soil, the beginner dacha farmer can not do without:
Vertical tool storage in the shed
- shovel. Available in a variety of configurations. There are bayonet, drainage, shovel and universal shovels. For digging, an ordinary bayonet shovel will do;
- rake. Excellent for loosening and leveling the soil;
- forks. They also differ in types. There are 2-3-4-row forks. Four-arm forks are relevant for digging the soil.
It is necessary to buy a tool made of stainless material. This way it will last longer and will not change its characteristics even under conditions of high humidity.
Working with flowerbeds and beds
To always have a well-groomed garden and vegetable garden and at the same time spent minimal physical effort, the farmer should get the tools from the list:
- hoe – an excellent garden tool for quick removal of weeds and quality breakdown of beds. The triangular-shaped hoe is relevant when you need to weed and plow the ground;
- fokin ploughshare – a relatively new tool, but, however, is deservedly considered a find for any dacha owner. Many gardeners say that it can replace the arsenal of other tools (shovel, ripper, hoe);
- ripper is used mainly for fluffing between the rows.
Be sure to buy a hand marker for marking rows in flower beds and beds. With it, any garden crops can be planted evenly and beautifully. According to the type of markers are serrated (used for marking wells) and planked (make marking furrows).